Make a Blog Site
Choose a theme and start writing posts. WordPress makes blogs by default.
Make a Static Site
Before you make your site static, create a page. In the steps below, you'll make this page your homepage, then turn off comments completely.
- Go to your website's Dashboard
- Learn more at Open Your Dashboard
- Click on Settings
- Settings is located on the black menu bar on the left-hand side of the page
Additional options will unfold below "Settings"
- Click on Reading
- Reading is located below Settings
The "Reading" page will appear
- Set "Front page displays" to "static page"
- Select "static page" by clicking on the adjacent bubble
- Select your desired homepage under "Front page"
- If you do not choose an option under "Post page," the rest of the pages will remain static
- Turn off comments
- Learn more at Turn Off Comments for Your Entire Site
Use Both Static and Blog Pages
Before you make your site static, create two pages. In the steps below, you'll make one of these pages your homepage, and the other your blog page. Make sure your blog page has no content: you only need the title to generate your blog page.
- Go to your Dashboard
- See the Dashboard glossary definition
- Click Settings
More options will unfold below "Settings"
- Click Reading
The "Reading" page will open
- Check the button next to "A static page"
- Select a page to set as your homepage
- Select a page to set as your posts page
- Make sure this page doesn't include content: WordPress uses only the title to generate the page
- Click Save Changes
WordPress will confirm your changes