Gifox works best for Macs. It costs $2.99 in the App Store. To get reimbursed, message Christine Jewell before you buy and cc John Alexander. John will approve the expense.
Best Practices before Recording
- Keep your browser and folders "clean." Hide any unnecessary addons, and make sure any browser windows you open only show the file you want to select.
- Use generic, descriptive file names and field names: for example, "My_Image.jpg" instead of "13897384njd.jpg," or "This is a description of my image" instead of "Test test test test."
- Occasionally, specific names can be useful if you're showing off a handy function: for example, "The_Waste_Land_by_Eliot.docx" if you want to show instructors can upload texts for student annotation.
- Make sure to protect your privacy! Don't accidently screenshot a credit card number.
- Run through the steps a couple of times before you record. This keeps multiple junk versions from gathering on your computer.
- Always record the quickest way to accomplish the task. Step-by-step guides often go the long way around, for the sake of educating the reader. Gifs, however, should use any shortcuts possible for the sake of time.
- Make sure viewers can read text in the gif. Zoom in as far as possible without distorting the page.
Gifs in OS X (with Gifox)
To access the settings:
- Open Gifox, then click the Gifox icon in the main menu (looks like an origami fox face)
- Click the preferences icon in the bottom right corner (looks like a gear)
Use these settings in the General tab:
- Launch and Capture fields: all unchecked
- Record fps: 6.0
- Playback fps: 12.5
- Repeat count: ∞
- Repeat pause, s: 3.0
Use these settings in the Compression tab:
- Algorithm: Default
- Mat colours: 134
- Palette: first frame (global)
- Dither: Bayer
- Bayer scale: 3
- Open Gifox and the page you want to record
- Click the Gifox icon in the main menu (looks like an origami fox face)
- Make sure your settings are correct (see above)
- Click the dotted box in the top left corner of the Gifox menu
- Drag the bounding box – only content within the box will be recorded
- To start recording, press the spacebar on your keyboard
- To stop recording, press the Gifox icon again (it will have turned into a recording button) – your gif will load in the Gifox menu
- Click on the new gif to view it