Roles are designed to give you the ability to control what users can and cannot do within the site. As site owner, you can manage user access to various tasks: write and edit posts, create pages, define links, create categories, moderate comments, manage plugins, manage themes, and manage other users. You can assign a specific role to each user.
Possible User Roles:
- Administrator: someone who has access to all the administration features
- Editor: someone who can publish and manage pages/posts, including other people's pages/posts, etc.
- Author: someone who can publish and manage his own pages/posts
- Contributor: someone who can write and manage his pages/posts but not publish pages/posts
- Subscriber: someone who can read comments/comment/receive newsletters, etc.
In SHANTI Pages, roles are defined in the corresponding UVaCollab site. You can change the role of a user by by adding him to the WP_Author, WP_Editor, and WP_Contributor groups. Instructors are administrators with author, editor, and contributor capabilities. When a new user is added to a site, he automatically receives the role of "subscriber."
Related step-by-step guides:
- Learn more at Change a User's Role