i>Clicker is a third party program used by many to poll their classes during lecture. Main program support is provided by the i>Clicker company. ITS provides access to the necessary instructor hardware and the base stations in the classrooms. ITS also coordinates the integration of the tool with our LMS, UVaCollab.
Before the Semester
- Order Devices:
Many faculty at UVa incorporating clickers in their courses use i>Clicker 2. Faculty should include the appropriate ISBN (1429280476) in their book order. It’s best to order i>Clicker2 devices separately (rather than in a textbook bundle) since students may already own the device. A student can use the same device in multiple classes.
- Verify your Classroom has a Base Station:
Please check your room, and if it does not have an iclicker base unit on the podium, please request one by contacting classroom support at email@example.com. We will have a base installed for you.
- Obtain an Instructor Kit:
To obtain an instructor kit email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange to pick up one from our support office in New Cabell 300. The kit includes an instructor remote and a test base station for your use. Note: Current best practice is to keep your program data in an i>Clicker folder that you have set upon your Home Directory (or on your own laptop). By doing so, you will have access to all your data from your office, home, or classroom.
- Using UVaCollab:
If you integrated i>Clicker into UVaCollab, you can easily grade assignments and import your data into your gradebook. For the most current copies of the needed software and notification of changes it is recommended that you join the Clickers Site in UVaCollab. This site is open to all (Navigate to MyWorkspace: Membership: Joinable). The latest versions of the software are available for download from the Resources Section.
Before Your First Class
Obtain the Software from UVA (not from iclicker.com) CURRENT VERSION IS 7.14
The latest version of the i>Clicker software combined with the files that make UVaCollab integration possible can be found on the Clicker site on UVaCollab. Once you have downloaded the appropriate zipped file, expand the files into a folder on your Home Directory or directly to your laptop if you don’t use the classroom computer for teaching.
Navigate to http://its.virginia.edu/homedir/utilities.html
Follow the steps detailed there to access your Home Directory
Create a new folder for i>Clicker. The file version changes frequently, so it is a good practice to download a new set of files each semester. You can use a naming convention similar to 2018-spring-iclicker, 2017-fall-iclicker, etc., to keep the files separate.
Unzip the downloaded files to this directory
Install the i>Clicker Tool
- In the UVACollab site for your course, install the i>Clicker Tool. This will allow your students to register their devices for your class.
- Site Info
- Edit Tools
- Check the box for i>Clicker
- Instruct your students to register their i>Clicker device:
- In your UVaCollab course site
- Select i>clicker from the tools
- Enter your ID number from your i>Clicker into the text window
- Click register
Verify your Settings
The software ZIP file contains all of the necessary files you need. Please check to make sure the software is set up for use with our Sakai LMS (UVaCollab)
Select the New button to create a new course. Enter your course information and save
Choose your course
Select My Settings | CMS/Registration Tab | Sakai
Click Set for Course
I>Clicker provides videos explaining these requirements. Part 1: Setting Up i>Clicker Integrated, Step 1 has been done for you. I-Clicker's support pages provide video instructions for
Setting up i>Clicker Integrate
Synchronizing your Roster
Uploading i>Clicker Polling Data into your LMS (UVaCollab)
i>Clicker also provides videos explaining these requirements. Part 1: Setting Up i>Clicker Integrate, Step 1 has been done for you.
- Support for the actual use of the software is provided by the i>Clicker company and its representatives. ITS acts as a liaison between UVa and i>Clicker to coordinate the integration with UVaCollab and to provide hardware support for the rooms. The website is http://support.iclicker.com/.
- If you are using the provided computer, the base station will be connected to this computer for you.
- If you are using your laptop, you should plan on bringing your personal base station to class to use.
- i>Clicker provides a comprehensive Instructor Checklist for you at their site.
- To ask a question, navigate to your Home Directory or other location of the iclicker folder you created to start the program. i>Clicker runs directly from your Home Directory . No files are stored on the room computer.
- https://macmillannv.desk.com/?b_id=10282 provides detailed instructions for using the software.
For More Information
- Join the Clickers UVaCollab site: There is an active community of faculty using clickers at UVa. They have a joinable UVaCollab site called Clickers that is maintained by the ITS Classroom Support staff. Click this link to join the site (requires log in to UVaCollab).
Attend a Webinar: i>Clicker provides complementary training webinars. You can register for live sessions or view recorded sessions from their support web page.
- Ask your peers. Many faculty use the i>Clicker software in their classes. Ask around. Help may be very near.